You celebrated 10 years at Remedica recently. How has your career developed in that time?
I have been lucky enough to progress at Remedica and am now a Principal Medical Writer, with a wide remit, which allows me to work over several projects and disease states.
10 years is a long time – what have been your highlights?
According to a recent BBC report, 70% of workers do not expect to return to their offices every day, but will continue to work from home for some or all of their working week (presumably the other 30% have no choice – lifeguards, anesthetists, traffic wardens, and so forth). But working from home is like marmite – some love it and some hate it – and it has become controversial.
It’s Recycle Week in the UK this week, and to mark the occasion we thought we would take a look at how to improve recycling – and reduce the materials we use – at medical education events.
For a large event, there might be a wide variety of materials produced, from welcome letters and departure instructions, to signage, agendas and delegate notebooks, to name badges, lanyards, bottled water, stage sets, and more. Here’s some pointers for the kinds of things we try to do at Remedica to minimize production, maximize recycling, and generally be kinder to the planet.
Gadgets are taking over the world
Ray-Ban’s popular “Never Hide” advertising campaign launched in 2007, and is still regarded as one of the most creative and impactful for their brand. The campaign targeted the non-conformist spirit, centred on being true to oneself, personifying the desire to be an individual.
Unbelievably, it was over 30 years ago that Dr. James Hansen, then director of NASA’s Institute for Space Studies, first said to a Committee: “In my opinion, the greenhouse effect has been detected, and it is changing our climate now.”
Slide decks are something of a staple in med comms and come in all shapes and sizes ‒ long, short, simple, and all too often, rather complicated. At AS&K we are often tasked with creating eye-catching decks from scratch, or transforming dull complicated slides into punchy, engaging ones that will capture an audience’s attention, and keep it. This can be challenging, even for seasoned PowerPoint users, especially when you factor in diverse therapy areas, products and audiences, and throw the odd tight deadline on top.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) policies and initiatives have long been considered a pinnacle of ethical business practice. These seek to create an inclusive company culture, i.e. the absence of exclusion or perceived exclusion by team members. These relate to protected characteristics under the UK Equal Opportunities and Discrimination Act (Equality Act 2010): age; disability; gender; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion; sex; and sexual orientation.
Welcome to the Metaverse